The Manager School Financial Advice is responsible for ensuring that the Ministry can provide a high level of strategic and operational financial advice to schools and kura to support their governance and management. They will monitor school financial performance and ensure that the Ministry has in place the appropriate framework, tools and resources to support and reduce risks for schools and kura.
The Manager is responsible for the consolidation of school Financial Statements into the Government Financial Statement. They also manage a regionally based team of eight Education Advisers – School Finances who provide direct support to a portfolio of schools and kura.
Expertise, Knowledge and skills:
- Understanding of financial management of complex budgets, contracts and complex funding formulae
- Detailed knowledge of accounting management techniques and analysis
- Strategic thinking
- Experience of leading and motivating team
- Proven experience of reviewing systems and structures and identification of better ways of working
- Proven experience of building effective stakeholder engagement – recognising the different needs and appropriate approach to working with different stakeholders
- Proven ability to understand policy intent at an abstract level, identify the implications for operational policy and implementation
- Ability to quickly identify and mitigate risks
- Ability to identify and manage strategic linkages with internal and external initiatives
- Ability to make links between improved financial management in schools and educational outcomes
- Ability to provide technical accounting advice to school boards and school management succinctly and in a manner that is understood
- The ability to discuss the difficult issues with schools but be able to work collaboratively in achieving the desired outcomes
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and deliver quality work on time
- Outcome-focused style of working
- Educational sector experience or the ability to develop understanding quickly
- Understanding of best practice service delivery in the public sector internationally
- Sound understanding of Machinery of Government, public sector delivery structures and systems
- Understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi and its implications for the work of the Ministry
Apply via the link provided, give Peter Campbell a call on 0210 493 060 for a confidential discussion.