NZDF is a unique employer and no two days are ever the same. The Defence Force exists to secure the well-being of New Zealand and New Zealanders with responses that include providing stability and peace support operations, humanitarian assistance, disaster relief and maritime surveillance.
How many employers run their own shipping, airline and land logistics operations? At the Defence Force you will get an opportunity to work across multiple platforms and engage in a variety of interesting activities that support New Zealand. Defence Force staff are provided with career growth opportunities that would be difficult to match - while working to protect and benefit New Zealand in a culture built around commitment, courage, comradeship and integrity.
You would join a committed and passionate team that together focus on one common goal to make a positive difference to New Zealand and New Zealanders.
What you will do:
As a lead member of this team, you will directly contribute to the delivery of best practice accounting across the NZDF. You will report directly to the Accounting Manager and manage four direct reports, including a Senior Accounting Analyst and three Accounting Analysts.
You will be responsible for:
- The maintenance of effective systems to meet NZDFs transactional accounting responsibilities;
- Working across bank and balance sheet reconciliations, journal processing, internal control and monitoring, management of credit cards and advice/information provision to customers; and
- All reconciliation processes across NZDF and all compliance, accuracy, and timeliness of reconciliations.
What we need:
You will be an excellent communicator with the ability to effectively engage with a variety of stakeholders, and be able to motivate, develop and mentor staff to get the best out of your team.
You will also bring:
- Five years practical experience in accounting, finance or business roles in a large and preferably public sector organisation;
- Specialist knowledge and understanding of the preparation of Bank and Balance sheet reconciliations, credit card management and journal processes; and
- Good quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, incorporating problem solving.
If you are interested in this opportunity please click the APPLY NOW button. All applications will be acknowledged electronically.
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 1st August 2021
For further information or for a confidential initial chat, please contact Olivia Strutton on 04 471 5862 quoting job number 111178
Please note: If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Please note: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand (NZ) and be able to obtain and maintain the required level of NZ Government security clearance for the position applied for. The minimum citizenship and residency criteria for security clearances to be granted by the NZ Defence Force are as follows:
Low level Security Clearance
- Most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided in this country continuously for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- Is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one of more of the following countries for the last five (5) years; either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Use this online tool to self-check your eligibility for a Confidential security clearance. Please note that this tool is not part of the formal security clearance process: