- Coordination and Relationship focussed role in a complex and interesting environment
- Enable and inform decision making for spending of Non-Public funds
- Based in Wellington CBD
Build your knowledge and take ownership of ensuring financial advice and support is provided to your own service portfolio.
What you will do:
You will provide key financial advice to support business decision making for the Non-Public Fund (NPF) budget holders and Committees including requirements around financial management and governance responsibilities. You will be responsible for one service (Navy, Army or Air Force), and work in collaboration with the wider NZDF Finance Service Delivery team and key service personnel at Camps and Bases to ensure that they are making the best use of the available non-public funds.
Key responsibilities include:
- Contributing to longer term planning of investment and facility decisions, while maintaining oversight of financial NPF transactions at a Service level;
- Coordinating, informing and influencing decision-making through financial analysis and advice;
- Assisting in managing the external audit programme and ensuring compliance with external legislative submissions to Charities Services, IRD and Bank authorities;
- Generating budgeting and forecasting plus financial performance reporting;
- Training, coaching and mentoring key stakeholders to ensure a high level of financial integrity is maintained; and
- Providing financial management advice on NZDF NPF Financial policies and procedures to internal NZDF customers.
What we need:
You will be confident to engage, train and influence stakeholders with a focus on clearly translating technical financial information to ensure understanding of non-financial audiences. You will have a tertiary qualification in Accounting, Finance or other relevant area, or relevant work and commercial experience. Membership of CAANZ (CA), and/or Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) or equivalent professional qualification is highly desirable.
You will also have:
- 5+ years practical working experience in an accounting, finance or business role, ideally within a large organisation, and preferably public sector organisation;
- Good quantitative and qualitative analytical skills;
- Good research and financial problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills, with ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as lead upwards;
- An understanding of relevant standards, regulations, audit requirements, banking and Tax legislation and NZ Public Sector financial management practices.
Who we are:
The Non Public Fund Service Delivery Group assists the NZDF with administering NPF resources to support the welfare and wellbeing of our people and their families as well as former members of the Armed Forces and their families. The Group provides financial and business decision support to the three Services – Navy, Army and Air Force – in the running of their specific funds supporting welfare outcomes. It provides committee support, audit programme coordination, budgeting and forecasting, financial and performance reporting, costing, analysis and other services to support financial management and other business initiatives, projects and reviews.
Every hour of every day, 365 days of the year, the New Zealand Defence Force is contributing to the defence, security and well-being of Aotearoa / New Zealand. As a modern, professional military, it is our goal to maintain well trained, equipped and disciplined armed forces that can react to crisis at short notice.
NZDF is an inclusive organisation that is open to flexible working arrangements and welcomes applications from people regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, age, beliefs/opinions, or family circumstances.
In return for your expertise, dedication and hard work, NZDF is offering remuneration reflective of your experience, along with:
- Great benefits for you and your family;
- 5 weeks annual leave per year;
- Flexible working environment and positive culture;
- Variety, challenge and a chance to influence.
If you are interested in this opportunity please click the APPLY NOW button. All applications will be acknowledged electronically.
For further information, contact Peter Campbell or Michael Chhim on (04) 494 7091 quoting job number 111188
Applications close at 5pm on Sunday 1st August 2021.
Please note: If you are an existing NZDF employee (excluding contractors) you must apply through our Internal Vacancies site, via the HR Toolkit.
Low level Security Clearance:
- Most preferably a NZ citizen, who has resided in this country continuously for at least the last five (5) years, OR
- Is a citizen of, and/or has resided continuously in one of more of the following countries for the last five (5) years; either Australia, Canada, NZ, the United Kingdom (UK) or the United States of America (USA); and has a background history that is verifiable and can be assessed as appropriate by the NZ Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) towards a recommendation of suitability for a security clearance at this level.
If you do not meet these minimum criteria, we will not be able to accept your application.
Use this online tool to self-check your eligibility for a Confidential security clearance. Please note that this tool is not part of the formal security clearance process: http://www.protectivesecurity.govt.nz/eligibility-tool