Chief Executive Officer, Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust
• Key leadership role responsible for the effective leadership and representation of the Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust
• Opportunity to lead both strategic and operational delivery within a complex and exciting context of change
• Permanent, full-time role
• Chatham Islands based (negotiable mix of time spent on- and off-Island)
• Competitive salary c. $200 – 230,000 per annum plus package
Are you ready to take the helm of an esteemed Charitable Trust, leading it into a new era of innovation?
Beyond Executive Search is proud to support the Trustees of the Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust in their appointment of a new Chief Executive.
It’s an exciting time for the Chathams, with ambitious, nationally recognised infrastructure and sustainability projects transforming the lives of the Island community. Major Crown-funded projects being delivered by the Trust (and its subsidiary companies) include installation of an integrated renewable energy system ($10m) and a sustainable shipping replacement solution ($35.1m). The ongoing “lengthen and strengthen” initiative for William Inia Tuuta Airport ($45m+) recently took out the top honours at the 2023 NZ Airports Awards.
The Trust’s continued success relies on a complex web of partnerships. As Chief Executive, you’ll represent the Trust in relationships that span central and local government, Iwi, Imi, community groups, private sector and Crown infrastructure partners, customers and providers. You’ll champion a cohesive approach to “whole of island” kaupapa.
This is a unique opportunity to build on the strong foundation set by the incumbent Chief Executive – serving as the voice for economic development and well-being of the community of present and future inhabitants of the beautiful Chatham Islands.
The Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust was established in 1991 to manage key community assets and services which had previously been administered by both Local and Central Government departments. The Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust Group currently comprises (but is not limited to) the following subsidiary companies:
• Chatham Islands Management Limited (CIML)
• Chatham Islands Electricity Limited (CIEL)
• Chatham Islands Airport Limited (CIAL)
• Chatham Islands Ports Limited (CIPL)
• Chatham Islands Asset Holdings Limited (CIAHL)
• Chatham Islands Shipping Limited (CISL)
• Chatham Islands Quota Holdings Limited (CIQHL)
The Chief Executive is the most senior executive person within the Trust. In this role you’ll be responsible to the Trust for the overall management of its business and trading companies.
Given the relatively small nature of the Trust, its trading companies and staff, you’ll be someone who’s excited to roll your sleeves up and get involved with delivery – as well as leading strategic development.
As Chief Executive of the Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust, your accountabilities include:
• Leadership – provide effective leadership and representation of the Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust.
• Strategy – responsibility for the development, management, and implementation of the Trust Group Strategic Plan, and Business Plan and Budget for the various Trust-owned companies.
• Economic Development – responsibility for leading the economic development initiatives and subsequent activities for the Trust.
• Operational – responsibility for the operational functions of the Trust, working in conjunction with subsidiary company boards and operational line managers.
• Financial Management – responsibility for effective financial management and reporting.
• Human Resources – ensure human resources are in place to support all organisational objectives.
• Communications – responsibility for all communications, both internally – with Trustees, subsidiary company directors and staff – and externally with a variety of stakeholders, including government and Chatham Islands community. This will be informed by an annual Trust Communications Plan, developed by the CEO in conjunction with trustees.
• Project Management – responsibility for project management initiatives agreed upon by the Trust.
This is a career-defining opportunity for CEOs and aspiring CEOs. As the Chief Executive, you will bring:
• Strategic and operational leadership, ideally in infrastructure or asset-management related roles within or interfaced with central and local government.
• Leadership within complex/changing governance structures.
• Ability to address gaps in management/resourcing and to successfully capability build – for immediate and future requirements.
• People leadership and the ability to take people on the journey through change – establishing a culture of collaboration, agility, and continuous learning.
• Ease in developing strong stakeholder engagement plans at pace. Ideally offering existing networks to leverage – spanning central government agencies; private sector partners (especially in the infrastructure sector); innovation agencies; and broader.
• Ability to strengthen partnerships with Māori and Moriori as a fundamental priority.
• Ability to ensure that outcomes for the Island communities and partners remain central to the mahi delivered by the Trust.
Are you ready to make a difference?
If this opportunity interests you, please submit your cover letter and CV by using the ‘apply' button.
In your cover letter we’d like to know about you, your values, your whakapapa or anything you’d like to share about your cultural identity. We’re keen to know your motivations, strengths, transferable skills, and the diverse perspectives you will bring to the role. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities.
For a confidential conversation and the briefing pack for this role, you are also welcome to reach out to Kirsty Clarke, Lead Consultant Executive Search at Beyond Recruitment at Kirsty.Clarke@beyond.co.nz or 027 222 8488.
Applications close Midnight – Sunday 26th November 2023
We want our people to feel valued for their unique qualities and have a sense of belonging. If you require assistance or adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.
|Job Title:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Contract Type:||Permanent Recruitment|
|Contact Details:||Kirsty Clarke|
|Job Published:||about 1 month ago|
Chief Executive Officer, Chatham Islands Enterprise Trust